Friday, May 15, 2009

More on chicken...

Just a quick tip today as I'm juggling a long list of things on the to-do list.

I always buy boneless, skinless chicken breasts already frozen in the bag. While my family loves chicken legs and I will buy them, I don't really like spending money on chicken with bones since we don't eat the bones and I'm paying for that package by the pound.

A lot of times, I will throw 4-5 chicken breasts in its own ziploc bag with a marinade I have in the 'fridge or with some ingredients I know will make a decent marinade. (Remember, recipes are guidelines, not rules.)

Anyway, what I also have done is let those thaw a bit OR if there's a deal on fresh chicken breasts, I'll do this with those...but I'll throw a bunch of them in a 9x13 baker in the oven at 375 for 20-30 minutes. Basically until the juices run clean and meat is cooked through. I'll let them rest for 5 minutes or so and them chop them with my salad chopper (which is a really funky giant set of scissors, bigger than normal kitchen shears) in the pan. Then I can portion them out in ziploc freezer bags and freeze them.

Then when I'm in need of some chicken for a salad, lunch or dinner, I can just pull out a bag of already cooked chicken. A huge timesaver to do some of this bulk cooking and it can make dinnertime a little less stressed.

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment