Friday, May 8, 2009

Macadamia Nut Hummus...Oh. My. Gosh.

So I've been a little lax in updating the blog here, but it's been crazy at my house lately.

I have to thank my friend, Tatiana, for sharing this recipe with me. I've always been on the indifferent side to hummus. If I find a kind I like, that's great...But I'm not likely to go out of my way to get hummus. It's just not a staple for me.

Boy, is that going to change! This mac nut hummus is TO DIE FOR! I know it's not fitting with my power cooking theme, but you just have to give this a try. It's chock full of protein with garbanzo beans, which I got for 67 cents at my local Super Target. And you don't have to buy name brand mac nuts. I'm sure Mauna Loa would love your business, but they were twice the price of my store brand.

Hummus can be a great snack, appetizer, or even one of those grazing type meals with a salad or vegie tray. (See I'm trying to justify posting this fabulous tasting recipe!) And all the other ingredients are pretty much staples...nothing terribly out of the ordinary and easy to find in your local store.

And it's FAST. I'm a big fan of dump-and-pour cooking. This is a D&P for the food processor or blender.

Macadamia Nut Hummus
1/2 C macadamia nuts, roasted - (can be done in the microwave for 2 min. On a clay dish is best)
2 C garbanzo beans (one can should do it - be sure to drain and rinse)
3 T olive oil
3 T lemon juice
3 T water
1/2 t freshly minced garlic
10 fresh basil leaves (this is hugely important. I made this with dried basil and with fresh and the flavor with fresh basil is just infinitely better. You can get this inexpensively in the produce section of your grocery store)

Put all ingredients in food processor or blender. Pulse and blend till smooth. Serve with pita chips.

Happy Mother's Day everyone!

1 comment:

Post a Comment