Thursday, May 14, 2009

I'm hungry...what should we eat?

How many of us have heard that day in and day out? Here's a quick recipe that can be whipped up really fast, is totally yummy, but a little different and I can say that my kids do like it! Don't let the curry frighten you away...I was afraid myself that "curry" meant "spicy"...until I got educated on the yummy flavor that curry spice offers. There is a zip to this recipe, but it's not a 4-alarm fire.

Curried Chicken Lettuce Wraps

1/2 C sour cream
1/4 C real mayo - (Miracle Whip will ruin this recipe)
1 t curry powder
1 garlic clove, pressed
1/4 t salt
1/2 c finely diced celery (Celery and I hate each other, so I leave this out)
1 Granny Smith apple, cored and chopped (If you don't have a GS, any tart, crisp apple works)
1/4 C finely diced red onion (Onions don't come in my house so I leave this out, too)
2 C cooked chicken, chopped (Leftover turkey works good, too)
1/2 C Craisins (love love love these!)
1 small head Bibb/Boston/Butter Lettuce (it's called one of these names in your store)
1/4 C toasted almonds, chopped (optional)

Mix all the ingredients, except the lettuce and almonds in a bowl. You need the Bibb/Boston/Butter lettuce because the leaves are very flexible and it has a very small spine. This is why this lettuce is ideal for wraps. It can "wrap" without snapping in half like Iceberg Lettuce would.

Separate and rinse your lettuce leaves. If you have a salad spinner, that's ideal to use for this recipe to remove as much liquid as possible.

If you have a large cookie scoop, that's an ideal tool for filling your lettuce leaves and completing the wrap. Sprinkle with almonds if you like and there you go!

In a pinch, if you don't have the right lettuce, then corn tortillas work as a nice substitute. Or this filling is darn good all by itself with a spoon. I can attest to that one from personal experience.

The apple gives it a nice crunch and a little sweetness to go with the curry. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment