Friday, February 26, 2010

Lenten Recipe #2 - I totally made it up

So it's Friday and here I am just now getting you another Lenten recipe.

It's just been one of those weeks. I had a lot of Virtual Assistant homework this week. Last night we had the Boys Section Swim Meet and then I raced home to get on the last half of the Disney Dream Depot live audio webcast.

Needless to say, my free time hasn't been very free this week.

I was not going to bail and do cheese pizza (blech) or have a grilled cheese sandwich today.

A while back, I went to the fabulous Cafe Latte in St. Paul for a breakfast meeting with a bunch of fabulous gals from the Twin Cities Hip Chicks. (Great Meetup group, by the way. Check it out!)

Anyway, Cafe Latte has this yummy breakfast bake that seriously was yumatrocious. It had hashbrowns, eggs, cheese and broccoli. It tall. It was fluffy. It was give-me-the-whole-pan yummy.

However, in my full-tummy-induced coma, I didn't bother to ask for the recipe before I left. i'm not sure if they'd even give it to me. I couldn't find it on the web. So I did switched into risk-taker mode and made something up.

I have to say, it didn't turn out too bad. It wasn't an exact duplicate visually, but I have to give it two thumbs up on the taste meter.

Mary's Totally Made Up Broccoli Cheese Egg Bake/Quiche Thing

1 pkg fresh shredded hashbrowns - this is what I had in the fridge. Frozen can be used.
6 eggs - I think 9-12 would have been better given the pan I used
1 C fresh broccoli, coarsely chopped - probably should have been 2 C
1/2 C shredded Colby Jack cheese - this was about right
1/4 C softened cream cheese - doubling this would probably be better
1/4 C half and half - if you double the cream cheese, you don't need this.
Salt and pepper to taste

Oven to 375. I wanted to set the hashbrowns as a base. So I spread them across the bottom of a bar pan and topped with cheese. I baked them for about 8-10 minutes. I was looking to have them set, but not completely browned.

You could use frozen hashbrowns if you want. Just thaw. If they are hashbrown patties, you could definitely crumble them. Best bet is to press the hashbrowns as firmly into the pan as much as you can, no matter which type you use.

I eyeballed the broccoli and it just wasn't enough. I'd definitely use 2 C of coarsely chopped broccoli. That way you have enough to go around. Chop enough for it to be bite sized, not totally tiny.

I used 6 eggs because that was all I had. I put them in a bowl and whisked in about 1/4 C of softened cream cheese. Again, that was all I had. I threw in about 1/4 C of half and half. I was trying to make it creamier. I added some salt and pepper and whisked the whole thing.

When I poured it over the hashbrown base, it didn't cover it as well as I thought. That's why I think you need more eggs.

Once the eggs were in there, I baked it for 8-10 minutes. Basically, you want the eggs to set up and not be raw and runny.

Results: Yummy. A couple corners of the pan was less eggy than others, the overall flavor was very good. It was almost like a baked omelet.

No comments:

Post a Comment