Friday, February 5, 2010

Broccoli Salad Squares

Well, here we are already into February.

Holy crap...a whole month in 2010 is already gone.

Hmmm...that means one more month closer to my birthday. And one more month closer to vacation. Maybe I shouldn't complain so much.

I'm on a vegie kick today. Mostly because I'm craving broccoli. I've had a heckuva head cold this whole week. Most food doesn't taste good and I haven't had a great appetite with this cold either. OJ, tea and all kinds of other bland stuff has been in my circle this week.

But I'm feeling a bit better and oh, does broccoli sound good.

Anyway, back on topic here...One of my favorite recipe types are the heavier appetizers that are substantial enough to be a meal.

Broccoli Salad Squares is, yet again, one of those recipes I could eat by the pan-full.

You could add some chopped chicken for some protein if you want, but it's not in the original recipe.

Broccoli Salad Squares

1 can (8oz) refrigerated crescent roll dough - Pillsbury now makes their crescent roll dough in a single solid roll. PERFECT for these Pampered Chef type recipes.
3/4 C mayo - real mayo, not Miracle Whip. MW will totally ruin the flavor
2 t sugar
1 t white or cider vinegar
1 1/2 C broccoli, coarsely chopped
4 slices bacon, crisply cooked and chopped
2 T red onion, thinly sliced and quartered - not included at my house
1/4 C golden raisins (optional)
1 T sunflower seed kernels

Preheat oven to 350. Unroll dough. Using a roller, roll dough out onto a 12x15 pan or stone to within 1 inch of edge. Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely.

In bowl, whisk mayo, sugar and vinegar until well blended.

Chop broccoli and bacon. If using onion, cut and separate pieces.

Spread mayo mixture over the crust evenly. Sprinkle with broccoli, bacon, onion, raisins and sunflower seed kernels.

Serve immediately or refrigerate. Cut into 24 squares using a pizza cutter.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment