Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Crockpot Quickie...Chicken Yummy

I know I'm on a chicken roll here, but I was thinking about this on the drive into school today and how I hadn't made it for a while.

If you don't have a crockpot, I highly recommend you get one. It doesn't have to be big and bulky, though there are enough of those out there. But a crockpot is something you can turn on in the morning on low and when you get home or ready for dinner, then it's done. There's no babysitting; no being a slave in the kitchen. It takes a little forethought, but if you can give yourself a little planning time, you'll find your prep time for dinner can be slashed significantly.

Chicken Yummy is a recipe I found and adapted a long time ago. I know it wasn't called Chicken Yummy, but that's what it's called at my house.

So you need 4 good sized boneless skinless chicken breasts. And they need to be completely thawed and slightly patted dry with a paper towel. Place those in the bottom of your crock pot.

Now you have to make "the sauce". And this is where adaptability can play a huge part because you can customize this to your own tastes.

Chicken Yummy:
2 cans of cream based soup - I use Campbell's Cream of Chicken and Mushroom. But you could do a Cream of Celery and a Cream of Potato if you wanted
1 soup can water
1/2 C white wine - the real stuff, not cooking wine. This gives this recipe a nice flavor boost.

Whisk together until blended. It will be thick. Pour this over your chicken breasts in the crockpot. Top with parmesan cheese. No measurement - just "until it looks good".

Put the cover on your crockpot and cook on Low for 10 hours. A lot of times, I don't get my act together early enough and then about lunchtime it's like, "Oh, crap! I didn't start the chicken yet!" Then you can turn it on High for 4-5 hours. I love the flexibility a crockpot gives you.

When it's done, you get this great sauce that has thinned out and has the chicken broth mixed in. Chicken...yummy.

I usually serve this with rice and then either steamed broccoli or grilled asparagus. But you can use pasta and your choice of vegetable as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment