Sunday, January 3, 2010

Lemon Greek Chicken

So here we are in 2010.

A lot of people make resolutions of some sort. Many involve eating better, getting more exercise or just being more healthy in general.

I'm going to share my resolutions with you and then a nice tasty and healthy recipe to start off the new year. After all, you shouldn't have to sacrifice great taste to eat right...right?

Here's my bucket list for 2010:
  • Eat better. Specifically, watch my portions more. For the most part, I make pretty good choices. But I am such a foodie. I enjoy good food. But I also know that I need to be more disciplined on portions.
  • Exercise consistently. I do this now. I'm at the Y 4-5 times a week consistently. But I know I'm lazy sometimes. I wish I could afford a trainer year round, but alas, I need to suck it up and boss myself around.
  • Officially launch my Virtual Assistant practice. A little self-promotion here; I'm completing a program with the intent of going through the process of being a Certified Professional Virtual Assistant. I'm so excited about this. If you know moms, micropreneurs, direct sellers or small business owners who could use some behind-the-scenes support, I'd be pleased if you'd share my business with your contacts. Most of you know that I have a serious "can do" attitude. So my VA practice is called Can Do Virtual Assisting. Check out my website at http://www.CanDoVA.com
Ok, now on to the yummy recipe!

Lemon Greek Chicken
2 t lemon zest - this is more of a flavor enhancer than flavor itself. I recommend you use a fresh lemon for the zest and the juice
1/4 C lemon juice
2 T olive oil
4 cloves of garlic, pressed - pressing really gives this recipe great flavor versus chopping
2 t Rosemary Herb Seasoning - this is a specific seasoning that I prefer. You can use dried rosemary if you like
3/4 t salt - optional. If you use Rosemary Herb Seasoning, omit this ingredient as sea salt is included in that seasoning
1/8 t ground pepper
2 medium potatoes - calls for baking potatoes - I like to use Yukon Gold
1 red bell pepper, seeded, cut into wedges
1 yellow onion, cut into wedges - obviously, this never is in my version
8 oz fresh whole mushrooms - don't slice
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, thawed

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a bowl, mix zest, lemon juice, oil, pressed garlic, seasoning, salt and pepper. Mix until well blended and set aside. Take potatoes and cut them length wise into 8 wedges. Place in a 9x13 baker. Add bell peppers and mushrooms. Pour 1/2 of the lemon mixture over vegetables and then stir to coat. Place chicken on top of vegetables and evenly pour remaining lemon mixture over the top of the chicken. Brush with pastry brush if needed.

Bake for 1 hour or until the chicken is done. Baste vegies and chicken with juices as needed.

If you are using a Deep Covered Baker, basting is not necessary and time may be reduced to around 45 minutes. If using a Deep Covered Baker in the microwave, estimated cook time is 20 minutes on high.

The nice thing about this recipe is it's pretty well balanced. Yukon Gold Potatoes as a carb are a pretty healthy potato. Add a salad and you're good to go!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment